Welcome To SCWIST!
The Society for Canadian Women In Science and Technology, or SCWIST, was founded in 1981 as a not-for-profit association aiming at encouraging women into science, engineering and technology; supporting and promoting the education of girls and women through programs and activities in partnership with the community.
SCWIST has spectacular record of boosting the numbers, retention and status of women in the workplace by facilitating networking, mentoring and advocating woman-friendly policies.
SCWIST also highlights opportunities, achievements and positive messages for and about women in the field through raising public awareness and guiding policy implementation.
Our Values: Empower, Include, Inspire, Connect, Sustain
Our VISION: To create an environment where women and girls in Canada can pursue their interest, education, and careers in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) without barriers.
Our Mission: We aim at realizing our values through:
– To provide activities, mentorship, and leadership that support women and girls in accomplishing their dreams
– To remove barriers and raise public awareness by promoting and advocating for inclusive policies and equitable practices in education, the workplace, and in government
– To inspire innovation and encourage excellence through positive role models and outreach programs
– To foster connections through professional networks and programs we develop in partnership with the community
– To boost the numbers, retention, and status of women in the workplace by facilitating networking, mentoring, and advocating woman-friendly policies
Members include university undergraduate and graduate students, post docs, technicians, technologists, research scientists, professors, engineers, consultants, unemployed and retired women scientists.