Welcome To SCWIST. Society for Canadian Women in Science and Technology
A non-profit association that promotes, encourages and empowers women and girls in science, engineering and technology.
Our members form a strong community of individuals and organizations who make this happen.
When you become a member, sponsor or volunteer, you will help:
- inspire girls to study and consider a future in science
- boost women in both early and more advanced careers
- enable partner organizations to support women and strengthen community relationships
Members include university undergraduate and graduate students, post docs, technicians, technologists, research scientists, professors, engineers, consultants, unemployed and retired women scientists.
SCWIST is hiring.
Do you want to help SCWIST deliver its mission to engage young girls in STEM? Now accepting applications for the ms infinity coordinator until May 14. Get more details http://goo.gl/3NOmER .
Announcement of Federal Funding by Minister of Status of Women in Canada for SCWIST
Sept. 8, 2017
Today, the Honourable Maryam Monsef, Minister of Status of Women, in a session with the Honourable Jody Wilson-Raybould, Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada announced funding Government of Canada for seven projects that will help advance gender equality in the province of British Columbia.
The recipient organizations for this funding of more than $2.2 million, will work on projects that will challenge barriers to gender equality:
- Society for Canadian Women in Science and Technology (SCWIST) ($345,190): to increase and promote gender diversity in the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) fields in Vancouver.
- Ending Violence Association of BC (EVA BC) ($290,000): to improve the way workplaces in BC respond to gender-based violence and support survivors.
- Inform’elles Society ($270,000): to improve support for francophone women who experience violence in British Columbia and Yukon.
- Minerva Foundation for BC Women ($337,076): to increase women leaders in B.C.’s technology sector.
- Multilingual Orientation Service Association for Immigrant Communities (MOSAIC) ($275,132): to increase gender diversity in Vancouver’s news media.
- Rise Women’s Legal Centre ($375,000): to improve women’s access to legal services.
- WAVAW Rape Crisis Centre ($320,000): to improve the response of the B.C. justice system to survivors of sexual violence.
Read about the details here.
March 8 at 6:00 pm- SCWIST Pub Night- March 2018
March 7 at 5:30 pm- Wonder Women Networking Evening 2018
Feb. 8 at 6:00 pm- SCWIST Pub Night- February 2018
Feb. 2 at 5:30 pm- SCWIST New Year New Beginnings
Jan. 18 at 6:00 pm- IWIS Game Night
Jan. 11 at 6:00 pm- SCWIST Pub Night- January 2018
Dec. 14 at 6:00 pm- 9:30 pm: SCWIST Pub Night – December 2017
Sept 25 at 4:00 pm- 8:00 pm: Spirit of SCWIST Fundraiser
Sept 23 at 8:45 am-4:30 pm: What is Data Science? Youth Full Day Data Literacy Event.
Dec. 8 at 6:30 PM: SCWIST Networking Pub Night – December
Dec. 13 at 6:30 PM: SCWIST Panel Discussion: Work-Life Balance
Become a MemberAs a member of SCWIST, you will join a community of diverse and dynamic women who love science and technology. Our website, regular newsletters and email correspondence will keep you informed of opportunities to volunteer, network and engage in professional development. Become a Member
Become a Volunteer
Our volunteers are integral to helping us advance and achieve our organization’s mission: this can be done only with the talents, passion and commitment from our volunteers. In return, we would love to provide you with opportunities to develop personal and professional skills that will stay with you forever.Become a Volunteer
Come to an Event!View all upcoming and recent events organized by SCWIST. Events include Brown Bag Series: Lunchtime discussions of current topics, Wonder Women Networking Event, Professional and Personal Development workshops, member receptions and many more fun events! Come to an Event!
Programs We Offer
Since 1981, we have been the Society for Canadian Women In Science and Technology, or SCWIST, as we like to be known by all. We are a not-for-profit association with a clear aim:
To encourage women into science, engineering and technology…
We support and promote the education of girls and women through programs and activities that we develop in partnership with the community.
…and to keep them there…
We boost the numbers, retention and status of women in the workplace by facilitating networking, mentoring and advocating woman-friendly policies. … more info
ms infinity programs introduce girls to exciting career options and positive female role models in science and technology. Together, we bust the myths about scientists and their careers… you don’t need to wear a lab coat to be a scientist! more info
IWIS is for you. We provide support to immigrating professional women in the field. Our mission is to develop a community where women can share their experience, seek advice and broaden their networks. more info